Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I love spring!

So spring means I've been out in the yard planting things, fighting the weeds, and just happily watching things grow. Here's some pictures that I took this morning on my way out the door to work!



The pink flowers = Dianthus. Funny story here - I bought three flats of this last year and was told it was an annual. it's back this year and doing better than ever - and it definitely isn't from reseeding - the actual plants from last year are still alive! I did some research and found that this plant is available as an annual or a perennial. They must have mismarked and I got a really good deal and a nice surprise this spring. :)




Here's my herb garden with some Dianthus mixed in. I may be moving the Dianthus as I'm running out of room! The oregano that I planted last year is threatening to take over the entire garden. There's baby dill seedlings ALL over because I let it go to seed last year (yum dill!) and I've got some baby basil, thyme, and rosemary coming up from seed too. My lavender plant is hiding behind the Dianthus, but it's greening up and getting lots of leaves too. I've also planted a supplemental herb garden in a pot in the kitchen window sill. :) this one includes another kind of basil (basil is my FAVORITE), cilantro, and parsley. Yum!




...and a close-up picture of the giant oregano!











Irises...one of my favorite flowers! This is just one of 3 or 4 different kinds in my garden. One variety already blossomed and I missed getting a picture. :( Another is ABOUT to blossom. The plants are all covered with buds - I'll be sure to take lots of pictures when the blooms finally come out because this last variety is my FAVORITE! It might have something to do with the fact that the bulbs came from my mom's garden and that they're the flowers I grew up helping care for and love. :)




...and last picture for the day - the iris bed, next to some peonies, lilies, dianthus, spider wort (such a pretty "weed"!), and there's some violets hiding (maybe I should move them since they're being overgrown) and there were some hyacinths earlier in the year.

I haven't planted any annuals yet this year (the violets are there because they re-seeded themselves), unless you count some of the herbs and veggies that have been planted. I love perennials. I sometimes feel like I waste my money with annuals...so I've been trying to get such an assortment of perennials that something is always in bloom. I'm getting really close!! if only my daffodils had bloomed this year... Oh well, I guess they can have their first year off. :)

No comments: