Friday, September 26, 2008

My slow drive to work

So I was actually out the door on time this morning on my way to work. I thought I was doing good! I should have gotten here about 10 minutes early! Very good for this late in the week! But as I pulled out onto Pontiac Trail, I noticed lots of police flashers a ways ahead of me...and then traffic slowed...and we didn't go above 5 mph for the next 40 minutes. I suppose I could have turned around and taken back roads in, but I assumed it was an accident and that eventually we'd get around it and be traveling fine - and backtracking seemed like it might be more of a time waster... Then we went around a curve in the road and I was able to see what was really happening ahead of me. There was some guy dressed in black - running and 6 police motor cycles encircling him. Behind this entourage was a motorhome with police flashers (ever been pulled over by a motorhome??) and a banner on the back. There were also police cars at every single intersection we came to, stopping traffic to keep whoever this runner was from getting run over or needing to stop. The thought that went through my mind was that this must be some politician or something - maybe someone running for office who felt that they needed to be protected when out for a run (though I have no idea why one would be in South Lyon) - and if that was the case, they'd certainly lost MY vote!! :) So eventually I get close enough to be able to see the banner on the back of the motorhome - it's the torch runner for the Special Olympics! Seeing how I've got nothing better to do and haven't had to even use the gas pedal basically since I got on the road, I google it to see if I can find their route - to make sure they're not going to be going past where I work because I really don't want to follow them the entire way... no such luck, but I did find out that it wasn't a competitor from the special Olympics who was running - Law enforcement offices from around the country do that running. That would explain the massive police presence! But yes, I eventually made it into work...40 minutes late (pretty bad when it normally takes me 12 minutes to get to work!) I don't think anyone really even noticed, though. At least nobody who will get me in trouble! It's times like this that being salaried is a good thing!

No comments: